Sunday, July 25, 2010

AUSTRALIAN PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS 2010





The Biggest Event of the year in the Photography calendar set off in style at the Melbourne Exhibition Centre in June. A new element to the judging system where you could see each individual judges score live lent a fabulous transparency to the process and made it much more interesting I feel.

It was all over pretty quickly for me this year. All on the first day in fact! It started with a bang with another coveted Gold Award (thank you judges!!!), followed closely by a Silver with Distinction, then two more Silver Awards. So four out of four and enough points to gain my associateship in the AIPP which I will receive next year. Pretty happy with that!!

So with all the big stuff over for me I managed to settle down for the rest of the event and enjoy all the trappings on offer. I checked out some of the latest buzz software and equipment, enjoyed some late night judging sessions and managed a respectable 1.30am at the APPA Judging cocktail afterparty, , etc...

I really enjoyed the lecture series, with the standouts for me being a late sat night session of the best under water photography I've ever seen (thanks Kevin), a handshake and steely eyed look from the infamous war photographer Tim Page and a delicious presentation of Murray Fredericks SALT Documentary and stories of his new Greenland project (thanks for the copy of the the film Murray!)

Thanks to all the super hard working APPA Team and volunteers for creating such a seamlessly run event...

Here are my winning prints from this year.

Looking forward to Sydney in 2011...!

No comments:

Post a Comment